Wednesday 25 May 2011

Precious memories

Precious memories was the title of the class I enjoyed at MAKE recycled craft workshop last weekend. We spent a wonderful day with textile artist Mandy Pattullo creating a personal piece of textile art. It was an ideal opportunity to use one of the family photos I had taken from my family history book and transferred onto fabric. Here you can see my piece of work just laid out ready to be assembled. The picture shows my grandparents on their wedding day in 1932. The surrounding text is just a passage from the bible to show how important her religion was in her life. As was music - she enjoyed playing the piano. I could tell you the pieces of lace and trimmings came from her wedding dress but actually they came from an antique shop and some from Katie's stash but the overall effect is good. I have got some embroidery to put on then I will show you the finished work.
Mandy showed us a quick and easy way of transferring an image onto fabric using household emulsion paint. She showed us some wonderful examples of her work to which you can see if you visit her at The Hearth at Horsley on The Art Tour.An added bonus of the classes at MAKE is the wonderful lunch and afternoon tea provided by The Allendale bakery next door. My afternoon tea was brought to the table so I didn't even have to stop work to enjoy it. The fruit scone with butter jam and cream was absolutely fabulous - probably in my top 3 of all time best scones I have eaten - and I have sampled a lot.
And more treats were in store when my DH celebrated a big birthday too.

Happy Quilting xx

1 comment:

Jill Bennett said...

your day at MAKE sounds great and that scone looked delicious. Happy birthday to your Hubby.