Monday 30 May 2011

May Bank Holiday weekend

Another bank holiday weekend, so brace yourself for lots of scenic photos. Jenny is swotting for her A levels so DH and I have been out and about by ourselves for a couple of days.
Yesterday we had a picnic at Tynemouth overlooking the mouth of the river, it was very windy but a lovely sunny day.
The historic priory was silhouetted against a beautiful blue sky.
The sand in the bay looked lovely but the sea was very cold - no swimmers today.
Today we have been out into the North Pennines in search of family history at the Nenthead Mines Heritage centre
Another image from the family history album shows miners coming out of the lead mine at the end of their shift. As my dad's great grandfather lived nearby in the 1870s, I was hoping they would be able to identify my photograph.
As you can see the buildings look very similar and there were photos of the same sort of trucks in the museum but unfortunately no one was able to identify the mine on my photograph. It was quite interesting however, I thought lead mines just produced lead but no they produced other things such as silver, zinc, flurspar and quartz. Worth a visit and good scones in the tea shop.
And scenic too!!!


A little bit of sewing over the weekend - I made Snickerdoodles - a rabbit for a baby from a pattern by Bunny Hill Designs. Spot the real rabbit.She obviously felt threatened with another lady rabbit in her territory and attacked!
And I have done a bit more knitting too. Square no 2 of my Debbie Abrahams design blanket. This one is called GRID. Only 115 to go!!

Thanks to Mandy for the Happy Quilter Label in the post. Wish my machine could do that!!

Thank you all for visiting my blog - Today I reached my goal of 1000 hits in a month- hope you all enjoy it.

Happy Quilting xx

2 comments:

Jill Bennett said...

the rabbit is very sweet. Congratulations on all your blog hits x

Amanda said...

Cute rabbits! Hope someone can help.....a friend of mine is looking for a sewing/quilting break in England for the 10-15th July. Anyone know of anything?