Sunday 21 March 2010

Disappearing nine patch quilt

With all the travelling done and a stay at home weekend , I have been able to get on with some sewing. My latest project is a quilt for the sofa in the conservatory - here it is just practicing at being a throw on the sofa.

I started with 9 fat quarters of a fabric called 9 from Moda which I had bought a fat quarter at a time over a few weeks at The fat Quarters. ( OK I know there are just 8 but i didn't like the 9th one and so I repeated the red and gold spot)
I cut them into 5" squares .
Then sewed them into a 9 patch block.Then I cut the block in half vertically And again horizontally. The top left and bottom right squares were turned around and the block sewn back together.
12 blocks sewn together and you have a quilt top. Well with a couple of borders it will be big enough for a throw for the sofa.
The plan is to free motion quilt it but with a proper design this time rather than just free motion stippling as usual. I bought the book Freemotion quilting made easy on our trip to Edinburgh. These are the first few exercises from the book. As Janet says Beware of anything that is labelled "made easy" - it is not necessarily true as my practice pieces show.
The illustrations in the book are perfect and you can see every stitch - just like hand quilting - I think I need a bit more practice !!
Jenny was much more successful with her project this week - a purse made with scraps from the ribbon box for a friends birthday.

Happy Quilting xx

No comments: