Sunday 29 November 2009

A Grand Day Out

A sneak preview of Christmas. I have at last settled down to getting something completed for a Christmas gift - I can't let you in on the bigger picture in case it spoils the surprise - just to say this was very much " I saw this and thought of you "
And here's another little corner. Lots of applique, a little bit of embroidery , some hand quilting, machine stitching and even some stuffing -- can you guess what it is yet?


Last week the Friday afternoon class had an outing to a quilt show by The Durham Quilters at Durham County Hall. The work was very good and inspired us all to go back to class in the afternoon and get down to work . Some of it was so good we did think about just giving up as we could never reach those standards.
This was my favourite quilt because of the story behind it. The quilt was made by a lady for her 16 year old grand daughter's birthday. It was made from her baby dresses. It had a lovely soft look of vintage fabrics and there were also some photos of the lucky girl printed onto fabric and incorporated into the quilt. A beautiful heirloom.

This Japanese style quilt was very eye catching and something that I felt I could attempt - From a book by Susan Briscoe - I'll have to look out for that.

However this was the quilt that made us think we should just go home - give up quilting now and perhaps take up model aircraft building. We could never attain these standards. A beautiful quilt made to commemorate the quilters 40th wedding anniversary - perhaps if I start now and worked for the next 14 years I might have a chance.

Thanks to all the talented quilters, whom I haven't been able to name here, for your inspiration.

A Grand Day Out !

Happy Quilting x

No comments: